Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Do you ever feel overwhelmed?  Of course you do… Right?  But what I want to talk about is that overwhelming feeling you experience when you know there is so much to be done and suddenly a loud voice begins to chant…,” You aren’t doing enough!”  I have this feeling a lot especially when it comes to ministry.  There is always a need.  I see so much ministry opportunity, so many things to do and so little time, I just want to help out in everything!  Can you relate?  Here are some examples…  You watch a movie about a missionary and then all you want to do is rush out of the country as fast as you can and save the world.  Or you see a documentary about adoption and now you have plans to adopt a whole orphanage.  Or perhaps someone you love is suffering and you are going to jump into action and save the day no matter what it takes!!  Ok, so these examples are somewhat extreme, but don’t we all go there at times?  Don’t get me wrong, I think all these feelings come out of a soft heart, and we should be open and ready for God to use us in any capacity He chooses, but sometimes we just have to take a step back and realize our limitations - God ordained limitations!  He gave us a physical body that needs nourishment and rest… and our bodies of course are aging and seem to slow down a bit every year.  He also gave 24 hours in a day and a chunk of those hours are to be spent with your head on a pillow!
  So what is my point?  Why am I blogging about this?  Well… with the New Year in full swing we are all busy and I think busyness should not be confused with Godliness.  (I am also writing this to myself, hoping that while I reread looking for spelling or punctuation errors, I may actually listen to my own lecture.)  I used to sprint around in circles thinking, "who am I? What should I be doing?  Where should I go?  How can I help?"  And if anyone told me I should do something I was  going to get it done!  After doing the precept upon precept study on spiritual gifts, I have begun to see things differently.  God has given me at least one gift maybe more and my focus should be to serve His church with what He gave me and stay focused and content.  I think allowing myself to feel overwhelmed and guilty, that I should be doing more, is often times a distraction so I lose my focus and don’t execute my gift. This gift is given to me from God Himself and backed with Holy Spirit power.  When I focus, trust God, and employ my gift, God moves and the devil loses ground!  I also have to remind myself what my current ministry is.  I will always have the same gift or gifts but my ministry may change from time to time.  So what is my ministry now?   What does God have for me today?   When Jesus was here on earth He didn’t set out to do everything but only the ministry God had for Him to do and He was completely satisfied and content in doing only that.  Check out John 17:4 “I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do.”   So I want to encourage us to stay focused on what God has for us today and trust Him because He can get work done without us!  I’m not talking to the video game addict or couch potato, who needs to stop wasting their life,  but I am trying to encourage those of us who will run our bodies mercilessly… you know who you are!  Saying no and trusting God is not at all unspiritual!
 Lastly, I  want to share this prayer I came across that Kay Arthur wrote…
“Father, help me only to listen to Your voice rather than pursuing self-imposed goals or giving into the demands of others.  Let me accomplish the work You have given me and then leave the rest in Your capable hands.”

No comments:

Post a Comment