Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Delight Drinking

Again I am utterly in awe of the Holy Word of God!  Do simple texts sometimes just knock you out of your chair?  Well I know I am a bit crazy but this seems to happen to me often.  Well to be honest I look everyday for this kind of experience from the Word.   So check this out:
Psalm 36:7-8
“How precious is Your lovingkindness, Oh God! And the Children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.  They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.

 Okay, out of my chair, look right there at the last phrase “You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.”  How amazing, I get to drink of what delights the living God.   Have you ever thought about that?  Stop for a minute and let your soul take that in!  What does God take delight in?  One of my favorite books, The Pleasures of God, by Dr. John Piper, can really help answer and take you deeper with that question.
 This text portrays God’s delights as a river.  This river is always flowing, never dry, and always safe to drink from.   Think about the word drink for a minute.  Drinking refreshes, sustains, cools, strengthens and hydrates, it is something you do slowly sip by sip several times a day.   So soak this in with me… Almighty God, full of joy and delight that is continuously flowing like a river, gives me full access to drink from this river and as I do I am refreshed and strengthened.  So why would this delight drinking be so refreshing?  Well as John Piper says, you don’t really know someone until you know what they love and take joy in.  So as I drink deep of all that brings Him joy I experience Him, know Him, walk with Him, enjoy Him, and grow closer to Him.  So if you are one of those who take refuge in the shadow of His wings, understand that you have full access all of the time to drink of His delights!  So what are you waiting for?  DRINK UP!!

 Oh God, that I may drink of Your delights today, so fill me with what brings you joy, and let an abundance overflow on all those around me.

1 comment: